The Terracon Foundation has awarded $104,000 in scholarships, and community and university grants. The foundation is the charitable arm of engineering consulting firm Terracon.
“The recent grants awarded by the Terracon Foundation represent a variety of local needs from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations where our employees are actively involved,” says Matt Wheaton, chair of the foundation and manager of the environmental department in Terracon’s Seattle office. “These range from helping to educate students in STEM careers to building and maintaining trails.”
He adds: “The grants continue our commitment to helping prepare the next generation for careers in engineering. Each grant was championed by a Terracon employee who is actively involved in the organization or university.”
This year, the Terracon Foundation has presented $37,500 to five universities:
- Birmingham-Southern College, Birmingham, Ala.
- University of Oklahoma Foundation, Norman, Okla.
- Texas Tech University – The Institute of Environmental and Human Health, Lubbock, Texas
- University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
- University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, Texas
The foundation awarded $36,700 in community grants to 10 nonprofit organizations whose employees are actively engaged with an emphasis on education and the built and natural environment.
- Alliance for Youth Inc., Great Falls, Mont.
- Boys Scouts of America Old North State Council #70, Greensboro, N.C.
- Future Farmers of America, Port Orange, Fla.
- Great River Greening, St. Paul, Minn.
- Greater Cincinnati Construction Foundation, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Holy Cross School, New Orleans, La.
- Iowa Architectural Foundation, Des Moines, Iowa
- Central Iowa Trails Association, Des Moines, Iowa
- Kiwanis Club of Bradenton Foundation Inc., Bradenton, Fla.
- PTA Kansas Congress of Parents and Teachers – Starside Elementary School, DeSoto, Kan.
The foundation also distributed $30,000 in scholarship grants to 15 dependents of Terracon employees who are pursuing four-year degrees through a community college, college or university.
For more information about the Terracon Foundation, visit www.terracon.com/foundation.
Terracon, an employee-owned engineering consulting firm, has with more than 4,000 employees providing environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. They operate in all 50 states from more than 140 office. Terracon currently ranks 24th on “Engineering News-Record” list of Top 500 Design Firms. For more information Terracon, visit www.terracon.com.