If you are a currently licensed well driller in any state, I recommend that you keep it current and active even if you retire. You may be able to contract as the licensed driller for a company or unlicensed driller until he/she/they can get licensed. I am a licensed well drilling contractor in Arizona, North Carolina and Virginia, even though I haven’t physically operated a drill in several years.

Many states require that anyone (other than the property owner) must have a water well provider (WWP) designation on their license to remove the well cap.

I understand that in Virginia even a well pump installer/service person must have the WWP on his license. This would mean that even a licensed plumber or electrician must have a WWP designation on their license.

Who’s going to enforce it? Depending on how state regulators interpret it, if they catch you removing the well cap without the WWP designation on your license, you will be fined.

How will the state regulators catch you? Since the pump installer in most states doesn’t have to apply for a permit to service a well pump or remove the well cap, they probably won’t! However, if they do catch said service persons without the designation, believe me the fines will be expensive.

Porky lists items that his state requires drillers to get
  Porky lists items that his state requires drillers to get in residential contracts. Requirements in your state may be similar, but it’s always best to check. Source: iStock

I do know that Virginia regulators require that, to obtain a WWP designation, the applicant must attend a 48 hour vocational education class (that’s six 8–hour days in classroom and on site) and take a written state examination on well drilling.

To my knowledge, we are the only people certified by the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) to present this class. North Carolina has similar requirements. However, I don’t know exactly what they are and I advise you to contact them. I’m sure that I can qualify to fill their requirements for presenting the required vocational education class.

I have been a driller for many of my 77 years and, when I no longer chose to operate a drill, I became a consultant, teacher, a continuing education presenter and, now, a vocational class instructor.

Another thing to be aware of is that Virginia and other states require that the contractor submit and have a signed contract with the property owner.

When engaging in a residential contract, the contract must list the following minimum requirements:

• Your company name and license number.

• A date for when work is to begin and an estimated completion date.

• A statement of total cost of the contract and the amounts and schedule for progress payments, including a specific statement on the amount of the down payment.

• A list of specified materials and work to be performed, which is specifically requested by the consumer.

• A “plain-language” exculpatory clause concerning events beyond the control of the contractor and a statement explaining that delays caused by such events do not constitute abandonment and are not included in calculating timeframes for payment or performance.

• A statement of assurance that the contractor will comply with all local requirements for building permits, inspections, and zoning.

• A disclosure of the cancellation rights of the parties.

• For contracts resulting from a door-to-door solicitation, a signed acknowledgment by the consumer that he has been provided with and read the DPOR statement of protection available to him through the board for contractors.

• The contractor’s name, address, license number, class of license, and classifications or specialty services.

• A statement providing that any modification to the contract, which changes the cost, materials, work to be performed or estimated completion date, must be in writing and signed by all parties.

 If you are from another state other than Virginia and need continuing education or a vocational class, please contact me.