A half-century of history unfolds over the greens of the Clearview Golf Club in East Canton, Ohio. The 150-acre course was the dream and is the reality of William J. Powell. Powell bought a rundown dairy in 1946 and two years later opened the only golf course in America built, owned and operated by an African American. Clearview Golf Club began with nine holes and expanded to 18 in 1978. In addition to a designation as a National Historic Site by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 2001 and recognition as an Ohio Historic Site, Clearview is expanding from par 69 to par 72 and from 5800 total yards to 6400 yards. The PGA has been actively involved in the historical designation of the golf course and is instrumental in ongoing fundraising efforts to carry forward the legacy of Bill Powell and the Clearview Golf Club. The PGA teamed up with Hurdzan/Fry Golf Course Design in development of a master refurbishment plan for the course. The golf course’s drainage system is a main component of that plan.
“That is where Hancor comes into the golf course renovation plan,” says Steven Anderson, president of Hancor. “History is so important to preserve, and we at Hancor are proud to be a part of keeping the dream of Bill Powell alive.” The renovation project includes installing and/or updating the drainage system that connects two ponds. Hancor’s EcoFirst recycled polyethylene pipe in two diameter sizes was selected for use at the ponds and throughout the course.
Anderson adds, “It is so satisfying when history and technology can come together. Preserving the original design of the Clearview Golf Club and, at the same time, using modern technology to ensure proper drainage and the ongoing enjoyment of the course, is a delightful task.”