In particular, the competition solicited entries for technologies that could accomplish small-diameter borehole drilling as affordably as possible, and more quickly and cleanly. The jury for this competition consisted of geo-exchange industry stakeholders, technology commercialization specialists and researchers.
The $10,000 top prize was awarded to Sonic Drill Corp., based on its submission, which was judged on the following:
- ability to drive a 4 1⁄2-in.diameter-by-400-feet-deep
borehole in less than 10 hours;
- ability to drive boreholes as quickly as possible;
- ability to safely drill in all conditions including rock, sand and
- minimal mobilization and de-mobilization time; and
- minimal damage/cleanup when working in mature subdivision lots that are fully landscaped.